WHAT ARE YOU USING IT FOR?
- Is it something you’re going to be spending a lot of time on? No matter if that’s fixing it or actually being out on the water in it.
- Is it for the occasional recreational use, or is it a tool that’s bringing in meat to put on the table?
These two questions will steer you towards how much money this jon boat is worth to you, what you value in the jon boat for its use and what it needs to be able to provide, and how much you’re going to invest in it.
New or Used
A used jon boat seems like they can be just as expensive as a new jon boat.
- Check for leaks which can be done by filling the boat up with a couple of inches of water and seeing if or how bad some rivets leak along with cracks on seams or out in the open
- Check the transom for deformations/bends/warping
- Take note if it’s been modified as in ribs removed or a seat has been removed.
At first, I bought a used jon boat off of craigslist, then sold it to buy a new jon boat.
Flat Bottom or V-Hull
A flat bottom jon boat is normally cheaper because its easier to build, and with being cheaper, it is more popular.
It will also draft (float) in less water when compared to the same size v-hull.
The V-hull handles waves better than a flat bottom so you get a smoother ride in choppy water. A v-hull will also part grass better than a flat bow of a flat bottom jon boat.
My opinion; flat bottom is great for backwaters and shallow water. V-hull is for those who have a lot of open water to travel before getting where they need to go.
Truck Bed or Trailering
Choose whether or not you’re going to be loading it in a truck bed or trailering it. This can come down to factors like:
- Do you know how to back up a trailer?
- Do you have room to store a trailer?
- Can you afford a trailer?
- Do you have a boat ramp to launch at?
If you’re putting the jon in a truck bed, know the dimensions of your truck bed and how wide the boat can be. Also, keep weight in mind. I started off with loading mine in my truck bed but that got old really quick and I got a trailer.